05 June 2009

FirstPreviousNext


State of the Nation speech: The CliffsNotes version

Well not really CliffsNotes. I mean, I'm not explaining what he said. It's pretty self-explanatory. I just...listen, look, bear with me here, I'm a mess.

"Our country, our very lives, changed forever."

"Sleeper cells awakened simultaneously."

"Unprecedented coordination."

"Frankly, we were caught not just with our pants down. We were caught with our skivvies (well okay he didn't say skivvies but c'mon just imagine him saying it...hilarious, yes?) around our ankles, making funny poses at the mirror."

And the bombshell: "We cannot be 100% certain that all elements have been discovered."

Dramatic pause for effect.

"We have no reason to believe there will be further attacks. We have heard no 'chatter.' We have not stopped any continuing attacks. But given how unawares we were caught the first time, I cannot in good faith promise it is over. I can promise, however, to do everything possible to ensure this does not happen again."

So of course I'm thinking, at this point, then what about the project I've been working on this past week? People are gonna want to--

"Naturally, people will wish to protect and defend themselves. They have that Constitutional right. But I do not want this to devolve into vigilante justice, which is often little more than thinly disguised racial violence. ALL use of lethal force, both by law enforcement officers and by common citizens, will be thoroughly investigated and the harshest punishments sought for convictions."

Well fair enough, I figure. The Second Amendment is in play without any political interpretations, but people know their actions have consequences.

From there President Lee segued into restating his guns-for-food program, drastic increase in police and military hires, statistics from the first few days, and the like.

"Already the program is showing signs of success, in many ways. And perhaps in some unexpected ways as well."

At which point, the impossible happened. All I remember is Chris's voice.

"Times are tough...."


FirstPreviousNext

No comments: