30 May 2009

FirstPreviousNext


Today I ran into Linda, the person whose apartment was broken into earlier. Happened to run across each other at the complex. I've always been acquaintances with her and John, they met me back when I was first moving in. Like I said, I don't do much in the way of socialization, but we always speak when we bump into each other, occasionally meet up when we're feeling like a cookout or something of the sort. We spent some time catching up.

We got around to the break-in. Police still haven't found who broke in, and she's pretty much given up hope of that happening. She said it was funny, though. Not much was taken. Their TV, computer, and not much else. Jewelry, money, other valuables were left behind. We figure they must have been noticed in the act.

"But if that's the case, y'know, why didn't the cops find anyone who saw 'em in the act?"

A good question, I had to admit.

I asked her where she and John had been. Turns out they have...had...family in Atlanta. Family that worked at CNN Headquarters.

"I...y'know...I can't really describe it. It's more than a nightmare. It's a real nightmare. I mean, it's reality. It's not some dream. It's actually happened down there.

"CNN Headquarters are gone. But throughout the city there are other obliterated blocks, or other streets where the rubble is still being sifted through. It wasn't just CNN, y'know? There were other buildings, other businesses....

"The trip cost us half our savings. Between gas, food, and panic inflation it's a wonder we still have some left. John stayed down to help with the cleanup and rebuild. I had to get back, y'know? I couldn't stay there and watch 'em.

"We had to 'park' our car on the outskirts. It's like people were gathering for a concert, or a big campout. All of 'em out there with their tents and depression. Transportation into the city was provided, for a fee. So many people doing what we were doing, looking for loved ones, leaving empty-handed."

She got choked up. I didn't press the point.

"Atlanta ain't there any more. It's not Atlanta. It'd be hell, but at least the police are keeping the panicked jackasses from causing too many problems. Some people snap, but it's dealt with pretty quickly. But that doesn't stop...doesn't stop people from takin' care of themselves...the last night I was there, the tent next to ours...." She mimed a gun next to her head. "Pehw. Y'know?" She bit her lip and turned away, looking down. "Was time for me to come back."

Man...how do you offer sympathies for that? And I dared not ask about her family. Conversation kinda broke down at that point. As we gave our quiet goodbyes, I remembered something. Asked if she'd registered yet.

"Do what?"

"You gotta register again with the city hall. Guess public records were damaged or something."

"No...we haven't done that. Hadn't heard a thing."

"Be sure to get down there. If you don't register by the end of the...oh god."

"What?"

She didn't have any way of getting in touch with John. "If you don't register by the end of the month, they're threatening deportation."

Panic flashed across her face, hand going to halfway to her mouth before she shook her head. "No way they'll be that cruel. They gotta understand the situation some of us are in, y'know?"

I think she wanted my confirmation. I couldn't give it.

"I'll go tomorrow. John'll figure something out, I'm sure."

I'm sure.

FirstPreviousNext

No comments: