27 May 2009 evening

FirstPreviousNext


Nope, I wasn't the only one. Chris, Cam, and Elle, my three companions from the night before, were just as ragged. And once my hangover subsided, my initial assessment of this job still held.

So cubicle jobs get a bad rap. Fair enough. But when 1) your survival depends on holding down a source of regular income and 2) the only other job you've had before is behind a register, cubicles don't seem so bad at all. Downright comfy, really.

Yesterday was the paperwork and the tour. I'm in a smaller cubicle farm up on a higher floor in the city hall building. The computer I get to play with? Droolworthy. Two monitors at the same time? Hell, just one of them's twice the size of this laptop's screen. Even have my own little daily-emptied trash can. Nice.

Cubicles walls are set up in a +, with the 'offices' in each of the four corners. The three people I mentioned before share a + with me. I seem to remember my +mates being pretty awesome. That's about all I remember from last night. Didn't spend much time with them today. I'm hoping that won't be a trend....

Today was an introduction both to the job benefits and to some of the work I'd be responsible for. First and foremost benefits-wise, there's a small pay advance for those "facing extreme financial circumstances," as the paperwork claims.

Needless to say I qualified.

Turns out I DID get the PSA editor position. After orientation, I "will be responsible for taking government health, safety, security, etc. notices and passing them on to the public through various media outlets." In other words, I take pompous legalese, turn it into stuff people can understand at a glance, and spread it over the airwaves and, er, paperwaves?

The best part? NO CUSTOMERS.

FirstPreviousNext

No comments: