24 May 2009

FirstPreviousNext


Stomach woke me up, which is ironic 'cause I was still asleep in the first place trying to escape it. Lounged on my air mattress, blankets a jumbled chaos. Never was much of a still sleeper. Probably talk in my sleep too. Not sure though, haven't had anyone around to inform me of such in a while.

Formerly navy blue, now threadbare-blue curtains give a half-assed attempt to keep out the noonday sun. I learned long ago how to sleep in bright conditions. Hell, I've been on this horrible schedule so long the sun tends to make me sleepy.

Glanced down at the foot of my bed. Dirty clothes pile is starting to get larger than the clean pile...will have to look into doing laundry soon. Fortunately, the clean pile still contained the essentials.

A slow rise up and a few steps led to the bathroom with a cramped toilet and standing-room-only affair of a shower. One nice thing about the place -- water pressure is solid, and water temp provides a solid 20 minutes' worth of wake-me-up-warm showering. (I'm a slow waker.) Have to remember to shut the door to keep the water vapor from triggering the fire alarm. No better way to make enemies of your neighbors, doing that.

I wonder how the neighbors are doing. Never was much of a socializer, but that doesn't mean I'm not concerned. Still, I figure if they need any help, they'll come knocking.

Not that I'd be of much help. A few steps towards the studio apartment's door brought me to a kitchen nearly as empty as the growling pit in the center of my person. A half-eaten pack of dry ramen tantalizes, but I ignored it, needing to delay as long as possible. Ignored the temptation to recheck the fridge, the cabinets, the dusty-from-disuse microwave, the gaping oven. The last of my cash will go either towards food or gas, depending on if I get the job.

I'm half-starving myself to postpone the point where I have to go mooching off of employed friends. Even in normal circumstances I wouldn't want to ever be reduced to that, but nowadays a slight burden can be a significant hazard. Don't want to do that to anyone.

But I can't keep this up much longer. If I don't get this job, I've got to have the energy to try again elsewhere. If it weren't for Andy, I'd be a panicking wreck. As it is, I'm already trying to find a way to convince my conscience that it's ok, I'd do the same for him if our roles were reversed, so surely he won't mind?

Snapped off a few strands of noodle from the block; midday snack. Leaned against the apartment's door as I played my newly-created game of How Slow Can You Chew?

My personal record is 27 seconds between mastications.

Then I sat down in my only chair, in front of my only piece of furniture: a minimalistic computer desk, the type made from metal pipes and cheap wood planks you can find at any discount chain. A leftover from my college days. The TV sits on it, and this laptop sits on it. I sit on the chair, and we are all happy.

Wait, no. No we're not. We're hungry. I'm hungry for calories. TV is hungry for ESPN. Laptop is hungry for full net access.

At least the chair's not hungry. Not sure I'd want to share its meal though.

So now we're caught up. Hi. Welcome to the present.

Not exactly where I saw myself ten years from now, ten years ago.

And, uh--hold on.



...



Yeah, uh, that sound? That was my phone. I KNOW, I keep forgetting what it sounds like too!

I, uhm, wow.

I got the job.

If you need me, I'll be feasting on the rest of that ramen.


FirstPreviousNext

No comments: