22 May 2009

FirstPreviousNext


Was scared absolutely witless this morning.

Scared stupid by the last sound I expected to hear, by a sound I hadn't heard in weeks.

Shrieking-schoolgirl-scared by the sound of my cellphone ringing.

Now, see, I keep it plugged in. Used to be I did so for when the network would inevitably return. As that started looking less certain, I still did so because that phone still serves as a rectangular pocket watch.

Regardless, it's a good thing that I did.

So my phone jolted me awake today, Imperial March, yes I'm a nerd, hadn't heard it in forever. I jumped up, looking around wide-eyed, wondering what the hell was going on. Synapses started firing in a less-random pattern, signals slowly reaching intended targets. Bumbled to hit the answer button.

"Uh...h-hello?"

"May I speak with Mr. Wall please."

"Th...this is h-he...you can hear me?"

"Yes sir I can. This is the City Employment Office; we would like to ask you to come in for a job interview tomorrow. We hope you are available at 9 AM."

"Y...sure, yes, I can, I mean, I'm available."

"Please bring multiple forms of identification with you. You are also to be made aware you will not be eligible for consideration should you arrive late."

"Er, right, gotcha. Sure, thank you!"

"We look forward to speaking with you tomorrow Mr. Wall."

"W-wait, do you know if phone ser--"

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

So, naturally, I dialed every number stored in my phone. Nothing. I typed in random numbers. Not a thing.

Dialed 911. Was told by the operator that if I did so again without an emergency to report, given current circumstances, I would be arrested.

That's something at least.

Still...what the hell?

Ate the last of my bread today. Few packs of ramen left, few bucks remaining for uber-emergencies. Still, don't want to appear desperate tomorrow...because I AM desperate.

What the hell....

FirstPreviousNext

2 comments:

4th Wall said...

So we're about a month into the project now. Still pretty quiet, which is pretty much exactly what I expected. I'm working on getting the word out, but I'm not big on being all 'hey hey check this out yo plz it'll be like totally awesome.'

But if you've stumbled across this, and you've made it this far, I thank you! I'll be honest with you, I'm not entirely sure where this is going myself, but I'm having a blast exploring the world and slowly tipping things towards a breaking point.

Well, I have SOME idea where this is going.......

AnthonyLucatelli said...

Well, having stumbled upon this site while reading the pseudo-philosophical disputes between T-Rex and Utahraptor, I'm thoroughly impressed.

And indeed, as I had not read the precursory comment you left, thought it was a completely serious blog ><

In any the case. I plan on continuing my reading, as this is very compelling. (probably the reason I'm reading this rather than my Summer Reading)