20 May 2009

FirstPreviousNext


Did the two-birds-one-stone thing, and tossed in a little more for good measure.

Woke up noonish and actually bothered with breakfast for once: raw toast. What is raw toast, you ask? Raw toast is one of the easiest-to-prepare delicacies of the modern era, a specialty of mine. One might argue it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Mostly because that's all it is. Slice of bread, uncooked. Ha ha I am so funny.

ANYWAY.

Walked down to City Hall, with its pseudo-important stereotypical Capitol dome and about five different flags flying outside the too-large glass doors. All at half-mast, I noticed. Also noticed my handprint sweat-implanted on my applicatoins and resumes. Way too hot day, had to debate quite a bit whether or not to drive down there. I mean, any chance to save gas is one I feel I need to take, but showing up all sweatypits and smelly to a job interview? Not the best idea either. Still, I figured the interviewers would be understanding.

And though I did arrive in as soggy a condition as I was afraid I would, I most certainly wasn't the only one. I also wasn't the only one in desperate need of a job. There was a good hour's wait just to get into the building. I saw quite a few people carrying the same pamphlet I found sitting outside my door. Papers in their hands, throbbing veins in their forehead or neck, hint of panic in their eyes.

Bit of a reminder how...odd the whole situation was. Amazing how quick we adapt. Still having almost week's supply of food might have made me one of the luckier people in the bunch.

Inside the building, though? It was like nothing had ever changed. Other than a slightly higher-than-usual hint of tension, City Hall was humming, buzzing, ringing, beeping, and chatting along like always. Eventually I was funnelled towards a room with a taped-paper "Employment" sign on the door. Was instructed to drop off a copy of my resume and application within any positions that appealed to me, up to five.

Tables were set up lining the 3 doorless walls, a U enwrapping the applicants. On each table were multiple fileholders filled haphazardly with printed paper, resumes and histories of those looking for some security employment-wise. Some of the paniceyes were dropping resumes in each and every box despite instructions. I was tempted, but coming across too desperate is never a good tactic. Left my info for a couple of data-entry positions, an editor job, and a front-office position.

There was one I made sure to hunt down though. A Public Service Announcement editor/developer position. Sounded interesting: responsibilities included creating and editing mass-produced announcements, advisories, and so on, basically serving as a kind of voice for the city hall to the public. Made sure to leave the least-sweatstained papers with that one.

Not surprisingly, there was another paper-sign leading from the makeshift employment office to an equally-packed registration office. Had a one-on-one with a data-puncher, giving name, address, social, and so on.

So yeah, a busy day, right? Surprisingly full, active, and productive, right? No sir, not enough! You remember how, before all this started, my illustrious career as a professional disc golfer was just getting started?

Okay so there's about 0% chance that any organized professional disc golf group still exists. But a man needs a hobby, right? Got in a round this afternoon.

Let's...uhm, let's just say our country isn't the only thing that's come under attack recently. Maybe I should practice a little more.

Felt good to play again though.

FirstPreviousNext

1 comment:

4th Wall said...

Right now, Wednesday and Friday afternoons are my saviors. Especially Wednesdays. Get off of one job in the early afternoon, don't have to do the second until late afternoon the next day.

Got caught up and even a couple of days ahead again. Even had a few minutes to try to make the blog look like I care about it! Because I do, y'know, 'cept I kinda care more about that big column of text down the center.

Hopefully the colors don't sear your retinas. Comments appreciated!