2 May 2009 post-tournament

FirstPreviousNext




TOURNAMENT REPORT.

Let's just start off by saying...I'll need to keep practicing. Lemme explain.

So I started on hole 2, which meant I got to finish on hole 1, the one I aced recently. GOOD OMEN. Anyway, the guy I'm paired with isn't bad, but he's obviously in it for the fun and exercise. I knew I'd have to keep myself motivated by keeping an eye on the leaderboard.

So I'm playing lights-out for me. After my first nine holes, I'm six under. Only bit of excitement was hole four, with The Tree. I drove...and my disc ever-so-slightly skipped off the side of the tree, barely being redirected. If anything though, it knocked me into a better lie for the putt, and I ended up birdie-ing the hole.

I headed into the second half knowing I was in 4th place, 2 behind third and very much in the battle to place in the prize money.

Heading into hole 12, I'm tied for 3rd at seven under. So I stepped onto the tee box, threw my drive...and watched it gracefully curve out of sight, to the right, down the banking into the river.

Uhm.

I can only be thankful for the recent nice weather. The river was low, and the disc landed on the bed just to the side of the water itself. I threw out and saved par, but dropped to fourth.

The last of the excitement was on Hole 1, my final hole. First place hadn't finished yet, but was at ten under. Second place hadn't finished either and was at nine under. I was tied for third at eight under, with the other guy having finished already. So, a hole-in-one would force a playoff...with me involved...for first place. I could still win this! I had never really played the local pros much, but I didn't figure I'd have a chance of beating the best in the area...regardless, I took a deep breath, stepped up, and threw.

The release felt good. It was on target. Curving perfectly. But suddenly it dipped a little lower, and clanged off the front of the cage. Thud, straight to the ground, inches from the target basket.

I stood there, on the teebox, for 2 minutes (so I'm told) staring down the damned target.

So I holed out my gimme birdie, and finished nine under. Turned to the leader board. There was still a chance...

...First place birdied their final hole, ending up eleven under. Second place BOGEYED, finishing eight under, giving me sole possession of second!

So now I'm $250 richer, I have my $75 PDGA fees payed, and I'm entered into any pro tourneys for the next year.

I DEFINITELY need to keep practicing!

Okay, let me catch my breath, and we'll get prepared for the election in a little bit.


FirstPreviousNext

No comments: