28 April 2009

FirstPreviousNext



Damn tree. Daaaaaaaaaaaaamn tree. I knew this would happen, I just knew it. I was so worried, but with the tournament so close, I thought, it'll be fine.

I was wrong.

So, the discs you use. They change with age. Develop a few dings and chips that can change the disc, both in the way it feels in-hand and in its flight characteristics. You get used to discs as they age though. And I was used to these discs. I thought about buying some practice discs, but then I'd get used to those instead of these, and really, again, three days wouldn't make much difference.

But say you're teeing off. Say you fling straight into a tree. Say your favorite driver splits in half.

Bet you wish you hadn't used that disc now, don'cha?

Finished 2-under, which is a miracle with how pissed I was. Three days away, and I need to break in my new driver.

Sent out a few job applications today after searching the local Craigslist. In between obvious scams, not-so-obvious scams, half-scams, and potential scams, there were one or two positions that seemed interesting. Wish I could be more optimistic about this...wonder how much of the pessimism bleeds into the cover letter and out onto the recruiter's screen.

How do you win in this environment, really? I've gotta get out of retail, but you have to have somewhere TO go in the first place, yeah?

Sometimes, when I'm bored, I like to browse the missed connections. Sure, a part of me has a small hope of finding myself referred to there. But more, the thought of random voices calling out, fighting against the shyness that kept them from speaking up in the first place, or lashing out against the circumstances that made it impossible...it's artistic, in a way. Maybe I'm just being a flighty romantic. I dunno. But a part of you can't help but hope that, despite the incredible odds, the effort there doesn't go to waste.

Not that I've ever tried it personally.

No, really, I promise.

I can't complain, I mean, I feed and clothe myself, I pay rent, and I'm insured. The feeling that your only contribution to society is your rent and tax money, though, well, sucks. And that suckage spills out into everything, sticking to it and mucking it up like oil.

Maybe there's something to this green movement after all.


FirstPreviousNext

No comments: