27 April 2009

FirstPreviousNext



Work was work. Won't bother boring you with that. Manager seemed a little more on edge than usual...then again, hard to tell the difference sometimes.

You know what's a good omen? I know what's a good omen. This is a good omen:

Immediately drove to the course where the tournament will be held for some practice, as I said I would. I did some warm-up on the practice basket; wasn't quite as rusty as I feared I would be. I mean, admittedly, it's only been about 6 months since I played seriously, but still. I don't like slacking off that much.

So I step up to the first hold tee box. Swing my arm around, loosen up my shoulder. Step forward, and fling.

Ching, drop, done, next hole. My first hole in one on the course. Not my first one ever, mind you, but I've only scored them on recreational courses, ones that cater more towards the casual player. And on the more difficult courses, I've clanged off the chains or the basket once or twice, but never had one drop in properly for the ace.

The rest of the round was decent; not my best round overall, but the 5-under was among my best scores for the course. Still, I'm pumped. Psyched. Ready to FLING. It'll be on five days from now.

Fell asleep watching TV after practice. Must have rolled over onto the remote, because I woke up to some talking head haranguing me for thinking about voting for that guy in these troubled, terror-laden times. Of course, two channels away is someone equally aghast that anyone could possibly be considering the competition, leading us to certain war, famine, and bankruptcy. Look, is it just me, or are the cable networks trying to convince me that we've reached some damned-if-we-do, damned-if-we-don't breaking point? It's like all of a sudden, all the grey from the world has disappeared. There is no grey. What do you get when you mix black and white? You get sent to the stocks, that's what, for your heretic views.

I like parts of both guys, to be honest. Yeah, I know, crazy talk, the Inquisition would hunt me down for such blasphemy. But I think it's about time we had a little more unabashed intelligence and eloquence running the country. It helps that the guy himself speaks about the importance of being receptive to the other sides' views, of turning Washington away from a us-versus-them mentality back into a helping-our-country's-people mentality. I like believing such a thing is still possible.

Ultimately though, I feel like we can't go wrong either way. Representative Johson, Senator Lee...Whoever wins gets my support, because I'm tired of the hatred and bickering, the pessimism and pissing and moaning. And after all...with our system of checks, balances, inconsistencies, and inefficiencies, how much damage can one guy really do in four years? Seriously, how much damage?


FirstPreviousNext

No comments: