7 May 2009

FirstPreviousNext



Even more is down. All national news channels. Three out of four sites I frequent on the internet; the more popular, the more likely it's down. Cell network is still out and I don't have a landline.

Local TV stations are all on live news reports, but they spend hours saying how they have nothing to say nationally, while reporting on the downtown rushes on grocery stores and banks. Music radio stations are continuing on as if nothing's going on at this point; what else can they do? Talk stations are either doing the same as their TV counterparts or simply broadcasting Emergency Alert sirens, yet to be followed up by the promised information.

The technological and informational silence is beyond deafening. You can feel the shockwaves.

They're making me restless.

I decided to risk going out for a bit, just to see...just to see how everybody else was reacting to this strangeness.

I immediately turned back. Double-checked the lock on my door. Where the lawns end and the roads begin lies the boundary between peace and insanity. Cars were racing down the neighborhood street, only to come to a sudden stop at the outlet to the main roads. Traffic was packed, horns struggling to make up for the lack of electronic chatter. Two-lane roads holding cars four-wide merging into four lanes going eight-wide. I can only imagine the runs being made on banks and grocery stores.

Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little. But it FEELS crazy out there, with everything else that's (not) going on. Personally I"m not too worried about food or money...I have no reason to believe anything's REALLY happened, and I've got enough around to last a week or so I guess.

Thinking rationally for a second, it must not be THAT bad out there...the local news can't cover what's happening nationally, but surely they've got an eye out on their respective cities.

Maybe I should try focusing on the TV a little closer.


FirstPreviousNext

1 comment:

4th Wall said...

Entry up, still on the pre-written entries that I had worked out before I started the journal itself.

From this point out, gonna try to leave comments about whatever per post.

Chose a bad time to do so, however. Gotta be at work at 6 am tomorrow.

NOT a morning person.

Enjoy! --JWL