5 May 2009

FirstPreviousNext


So, uhm, what I said yesterday about the quiet after the storm? Maybe I was wrong. Maybe it WAS the calm before yet another storm. Still, I hesitate to react too strongly too soon.

Unprecedentedly, the Terror Threat Alarm Alert Code jumped up to the highest level. This leaves me with mixed feelings. My first reaction is annoyed bemusement -- I mean, come on. This Terror Alert thing basically became the symbol of all that was overreactive in the (now) previous administration. While I won't go so far as to accuse it of being a simple-to-understand prod to control the masses of sheeple (god I hate that word), one has to admit it's a bit too...melodramatic, I guess.

Yet, on the other hand, has it ever been at the highest level? I mean, the Threat Level thing is a joke, and yet it was honestly meant as a guide for Americans (at least, I believe so...I'm not THAT jaded). So for it to skyrocket like this, it gives me reason to believe there really is something going on in the background.

Look, I'll be honest. I've had the TV on all day. Haven't moved from my seat (well, okay, other than for necessities). But all I'm getting is speculation, punditry, shots in the dark at wild geese being chased.

The near-certainty of an attack nobody seems to know anything about.

The very definition of contentless information.

Oh look at me be all melodramatic too. I guess it does kinda rub off on you.

Anyway, what seems to be the leading theory is a massive, well-organized attempt on the life of President-Elect Lee, if only for the timing of it all. Perhaps an attempt to disrupt the transfer of power from one of the least-popular administrations in recent US history to the man who won in the largest margin of victory in recent history.

Seems plausible on its face, but I'm not the first to point out that it seems somewhat overkill to send the whole nation into a panic over this. Yes, it's the (future) leader of the Free World, and God knows I don't want to see anything happen to the man. But should the potential assassination of one man, important as he is, bring the whole nation to a near-standstill?

I don't mean that rhetorically. Perhaps it should. Implying otherwise is not really my point, the more I think about it. I think what bothers me about this is that it just feels like there's more going on than can be explained by this theory.

Whether or not you buy into this Threat Alert stuff, if you're the praying type, pray. If you're not, hope. Pray and hope it's nothing. At the very least, pray/hope your cynicism is well-founded.

Back to the TV.

(As a personal note to my friends...if I don't get in touch with you, leave a little reply here, lemme know nothing's happened out your way, ok?)

FirstPreviousNext

1 comment:

4th Wall said...

So this is the 'date' that first started the journal/project/work/whatever you wanna call it. Everything before here was uploaded at the same time, so that I could hit the ground running with just enough story to (hopefully) make things interesting. As said before, feel free to leave comments!

--JWL