3 May 2009

FirstPreviousNext


It's election night, and a fresh start is near!

As expected, Sen. Lee won in a landslide. Try as they might, the newscasters were unable to create any legitimate form of drama or uncertainty in the leadup to the various poll closings. Some of the impressive conclusions they drew while killing time were 1) 'GodlessGate' sure did hurt Rep. Johnson, and 2) Sen. Lee sure did avoid riding that for all it was worth.

By 9 pm EST, it was over. Rumor is that large amounts of voters in the Pacific states didn't even bother to show. Personally I'm curious to see how many didn't due to the pointlessness of it versus how many didn't show due to Sen. -- that is, President-Elect Lee's earlier speech about staying home.

So did you notice how Lee's party has now taken control of both the House and the Senate by a comfortable majority? Wasn't sure that would happen. It will be interesting to see how well his talks of moderation and working from multiple points of view hold up when the party that put him in power holds the country's reins.

On a side note - maybe you've noticed how I've avoided labeling who's from what party despite how obvious it is who belongs to which. This is purposeful. I do not deny that your assumptions are correct, but I have a personal dislike for partisan politics (a large part of why I voted how I did). I want the focus to be on the people and the ideologies, not on some label. In both parties there are good people and bad people; good ideas and bad ideas.

Stepping back down off my personal soapbox, I wanna talk a bit more about what I mentioned just before that. Now that his party has so solidly regained control of the nation, what will become of President-Elect Lee? In a way, I'm glad to see this happen, simply because it will prove somebody right -- either he is truly a man of his word willing to listen to all intelligent arguments as I believe, or if he simply used talks of moderation to win votes, as many of his opponents and naysayers claim.

Time will tell. Almost too much to believe Washington can function any other way, but I've only been around 20-some-odd years, what do I know?

I do know that with this fresh governmental start, it's time for me to get to a fresh start. I've got a few help-wanted ads picked from Monster and Craigslist, tomorrow I unleash a barrage of resumes hitherto unseen!

Just gotta make sure I get weekends off. I have tournaments to attend.


FirstPreviousNext

No comments: